31 October 2008

Life Begins at 40

When I was younger, I was puzzled and at the same time curious about what the statement really meant. How could life begin at 40? Now I know. 

I was almost 40 when I started to experience depressing moments. Emotionally, I was down and yearning for reassurance. Doubts, insecurities... really, they go together. Physically, I learned what life begins at 40 means. I'm not sure if it is actually the age or the stressful moments that I went through early on which introduced me to hypertension. Even my friends could not believe that I have been taking maintenance medicines. They say that I'm straight. No hard drinks. Not a smoker. Doesn't stay up late at night. Disciplined when it comes to eating. Sticks to one carbo diet, and so on. Well, they didn't know that I have the genes! As a result, I have been a health card patronizer. On my 40th birthday, I gifted myself with a pair of reading glasses. I also got myself a suki card to take advantage of my "investments" at Mercury Drug Store. And one of these days, I'll try to organize the medical files that have accumulated from my visits to different doctors and laboratories. So, that's it!