17 November 2008

Training People on ICT

The Training on Basic ICT which I attended as a resource person in Palawan on November 14-15 was very much different from the other training I had in PCARRD. This time, it was scheduled in response to the request of the newly launched FITS Centers whose staff were not really computer literate. Preparing the materials became a challenge for me. How would I present effectively and efficiently the basics of using productivity tools and the Internet in just two days? And it became much more challenging to facilitate the hands-on sessions. For some, it was the first time holding and clicking the mouse. To others, it was extremely difficult to drag and double click the mouse but they were too eager to learn. At the end of the first day, I was suffering from back pains. Maybe I was no longer used to standing and speaking for hours. I was so tired that when we reached our hostel, I just lay flat on my back for several minutes. My roommate was gracious enough to massage my upper back which put me to sleep right after. I was energized to start the second day of our training. This time on the Internet. Just the same, I had back pains and headaches after the training. I may be tired but at the end of it all, I was glad to hear the impressions from the participants. One father told us that he was so happy to chat for the first time with his daughter who is studying in Manila. Really, it is never too late to go for ICT and appreciate its importance in our day-to-day lives. Somewhere, somehow, we make changes in the lives of people we meet each day. And vice versa...