Since my AV fistula surgery in November 2020, I had monthly labs and consultations with my nephrologist. She would often ask me if I was ready for hemodialysis (HD) to which I replied "Not yet". I looked stable but this time, the symptoms were more evident. I continued to lose my appetite, even experienced vomiting sometimes, found it hard to sleep at night, and easily got tired because I had become anemic.
My creatinine and BUN kept on increasing. When I asked my doctor at what crea level should I start my HD, she said that it would depend on the patient. She had one with a creatinine of 10+ and still appeared stable. My crea then was at 7.3, the upper limit is 1.7 mg/dL. My AV fistula was very much ready (9 months before it was used).
On August 6, 2021, my crea hit 10.3 and my BUN was 267, the upper limit is 45 mg/dL. Toxins had been accumulating in my body and the symptoms kept manifesting. I knew I would be the one to suffer so I finally decided to start my HD.On August 30, 2021, after my usual labs, x-ray, and hepatitis screening, I started my HD. I underwent HD for three consecutive days at short periods for the first week and for the succeeding weeks, I had the 4-hour sessions twice a week, every Tuesday and Friday. From the arterial point of my AV fistula, an average of 2.8 liters of blood was pumped into the dialysis machine and the filtered (clean) blood was returned to my body through the venous point of my fistula. With the removal of toxins and excess water in my body, I felt good after every HD session.
