25 May 2011

The Birthplace

My lifelong partner is turning 50 this year so I urged him to visit his place of birth in Bohol during our vacation in Mindanao. He left the place when he was only six years old and returned for the wake of his mother in 1976 and another visit in 1984. Good thing, that three of his sisters and two nieces joined us because he might not be recognized by long-time-no-see relatives. After 26 years... From Balingoan, Misamis Oriental we took a fast craft to Jagna, Bohol. The three-hour trip was rough even if the area was spared from Typhoon Chedeng. We were determined to be ready with the byahilo experience on our return voyage the following day. I loved the view of the sea as we rode the bus from Jagna to Dimiao, Bohol. From the town proper, we took the habal-habal. It was my first experience riding on an extended motorcycle that could accommodate as many as three passengers. Our first stop was the cemetery then we dropped by the house of a relative and finally, we drove the 7-km stretch to Baguhan. The old house is gone but I could imagine what the place looked like during the early 60s. I guess childhood memories flooded Bobby as he stepped on the grounds where he grew up.