21 August 2010

El Nido, Palawan

El Nido is a top destination in Palawan just like the world-famous Underground River in Sabang, Puerto Princesa City. It is approximately 240 km northeast of the city via a long dust track between Taytay and the municipality but it is all worth the long trip. 

There are also small airlines offering direct flights from Manila. The poblacion is just a small version of Boracay minus the maddening crowd but a friend told me that the beauty of the place lies in the islands. Island hopping is therefore a must. True enough, I was awed by the magical limestone cliffs and other rock formations, crystal clear waters, and white sand beaches as we hopped from one island to the next. Our tour included the usual destinations like the Big Lagoon, Miniloc Island, Small Lagoon, and Secret Lagoon.

 

The islands are really breathtaking. I discovered later from the official website of El Nido that the novel "The Beach" was written by Alex Garland while living there. El Nido, I'll see you again. Next time, I'll explore more of your islands and beaches with my loved ones.