26 March 2009

Sudoku Loco

While waiting for our meeting to start this morning, I scanned yesterday's newspapers. I was reading through the Entertainment section when the unsolved sudoku puzzle caught my attention. When was the last time I solved one? I'm not really into mind-boggling games. That's why I don't get eager to learn chess and similar games. But it was different with sudoku. 

I was visiting my balikbayan aunt two years ago in the then Oakwood Hotel in Makati when I saw my niece solving a puzzle. I thought it was a crossword but when I got near her, it was a sudoku puzzle. I became intrigued by it. Never had the chance though to ask her how it is solved because we became engrossed with our kwentuhan and kainan. Later, I learned that there are no mathematical operations required but pure logic. Since then, I've become a fan of sudoku. I always look for it when I get hold of a newspaper. I've been tempted to buy those puzzles displayed in bookstore shelves but my sister introduced me to web sudoku. Sometimes, she brought home printouts of the puzzle for me to solve. At one point, I even prepared ready-made grids and just copied the supplied numbers from the web to save on printer ink. Each puzzle solved brings me a certain "high" that challenges me to solve another... And then the semesters passed by. The work never ended. And now I discovered it has been a long while since my affair with sudoku. When I retire, solving sudoku puzzles will surely fill my time.