I always thought that I was my father's daughter but somebody said that we are 60 percent of our biological mother. At the worship service this morning, our Pastor asked what we remember most about our mother. What did she always tell us when we were younger? It took me down memory lane. I couldn't remember the exact words. Senior moments?I got my love for traveling from my Nanay. She brought a book, "Nations of the World", and it became my favorite book when I was in third grade. I read it from cover to cover, memorized all the nations and their capital, and learned their geographic locations.
Nanay also influenced me to be an active Girl Scout. I was in fifth grade when I participated in a provincial camp, sixth grade in a regional camp at Mt. Makiling, second year in high school in a national camp in Naga City, and fourth year in high school in an Asia-Pacific camp in Novaliches, then a part of Quezon City.
My Nanay influenced my love for music, dancing, and cooking. She enrolled me in piano class when I was in third grade. She encouraged me to join our school's folk dance troupe and supported my performances. I was her assistant when she cooked at home, explaining to me the cuts and slices of meat and veggies for different menus, and in baking too.
I am who I am now because of my Nanay. She was not perfect. She had her flaws like all other mothers but she loved me dearly.