27 December 2013

Apo Reef Adventure

I saw this view from the plane on our flight back from Busuanga to Manila on December 28, 2012. I was fascinated by the vast expanse of light aquamarine-colored seascape and the white-painted lighthouse on a small solitary island. Later, I learned that it's the famous Apo Reef and I suddenly wished to visit the place someday.

My wish came true the following year. I got to convince Bobby and our kids to spend my birthday and wedding anniversary in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro, the takeoff point to Apo Reef.

A day after Christmas we were off to Batangas City port, took the 2.5-hour RORO trip to Abra de Ilog, and another 2.5-hour travel by van to Sablayan. After some discussions with the staff of the Ecotourism Office of the LGU, we agreed to stay in a beach resort and joined the two German
nationals the following day for the Apo Reef adventure.

True enough, the sea was rough. The moment we boarded the boat, we were already welcomed by big waves. My backpack which contained the digicam, cellphone, and other stuff was soaked in seawater. It was rough sailing but seeing the underwater beauty of the Apo Reef Natural Park when we snorkeled was all worth it. It's the largest contiguous reef in the country and the second largest in the world next to the Great Barrier Reef. What an awesome creation!

We saw the aerial view of Apo Island from the top of the lighthouse, explored the mangrove forest, and traversed the lagoon aboard a bamboo and styrofoam raft guided by a rope tied from end to end.

I'm truly grateful for the safe reef adventure with my family. I was reminded once again that sailing in life may be rough but with Christ in my vessel, I will be still and know He is God.