20 November 2010

My Pruthner

Did I say I'm a trying hard pianist? I am. I was in the third grade when my mother convinced me to study piano. Mostly the rich kids got to enroll in piano lessons during that time. We were not rich but my mother was very insistent and supportive. I dutifully attended my weekly lessons. I had to walk more than a kilometer one way to reach the house of my piano teacher who was a retired classroom teacher. Maybe I was not serious about this extracurricular activity because I dropped out after one year. Maybe the monthly fees were too much. 

I was able to spend a few minutes practicing what I learned using the keyboard in a church next to our house and when an aunt bought a Yamaha organ for my cousin. I can still play my first piece after I finished the basic lessons. The sheets were manually written by my teacher (no photocopying machines during that time). Perhaps I'm really interested in piano because when my daughter was yet to learn how to read and write, I "pushed" her to take piano lessons. It didn't last long because she was too young then. What I didn't expect was I would be our church organist several years later when we didn't have a pianist and choir director for months. It was such a relief when our music director came. My love for piano did not fade until one night while I was listening to our music director played the piano during a wake, I was truly blessed and challenged that I finally decided to buy myself a piano and work on improving my elementary skills. That's how Pruthner came into my life.