I have just finished reading Mao's Last Dancer which is an autobiography of Li Cunxin. The book is truly inspirational because it tells about Li's determination to achieve his dreams against all odds.
Li wrote about his childhood days with his family. He clearly described the living conditions in the commune. Bobby could relate very well to what he went through. I was also reminded of the similarity with some portions in the movie Slumdog Millionaire.
Despite poverty and the harsh realities of life, the love of his family, most especially from his loving and hardworking mother, fired him to excel when he was chosen to be a scholar at Madame Mao's Beijing Dance Academy and later became an excellent ballet dancer in the US.
I like the way the book was written. Simple but Li wrote from his heart. There were times I was moved to tears by the way he described the situations he was in. His life's journey is full of lessons of love, passion, and determination.
10 August 2009
Mao's Last Dancer
I have just finished reading Mao's Last Dancer which is an autobiography of Li Cunxin. The book is truly inspirational because it tells about Li's determination to achieve his dreams against all odds.
Li wrote about his childhood days with his family. He clearly described the living conditions in the commune. Bobby could relate very well to what he went through. I was also reminded of the similarity with some portions in the movie Slumdog Millionaire.
Despite poverty and the harsh realities of life, the love of his family, most especially from his loving and hardworking mother, fired him to excel when he was chosen to be a scholar at Madame Mao's Beijing Dance Academy and later became an excellent ballet dancer in the US.
I like the way the book was written. Simple but Li wrote from his heart. There were times I was moved to tears by the way he described the situations he was in. His life's journey is full of lessons of love, passion, and determination.