Laguna, nang ikaw ay marating ko...It was my choice to study at UP Los Banos. I never had a moment of doubt when I applied for admission and a scholarship with agricultural engineering as my first priority course.
I was having my vacation in Las Pinas when I received a telegram informing me that I passed the UPCAT and that I had to attend the Summer Bridge Program in UPLB as a grantee of the Agricultural and Rural Development Scholarship (ARDS) Program.
In April 1981, I and my other batchmates in ARDS took Math and English to prepare us for college life. We were the top graduates from different public high schools all over the country. Cream of the crop, they said.
College life was much different. Time for independence yet it demanded self-discipline. A lot of lessons were learned academically but also from fellow scholars, brethren in the Campus Crusade for Christ, brothers, and sisters in the League of Agricultural Engineering Students (NGs), and other classmates and acquaintances.
Never did I regret my decision to study at UPLB.
Photo from k53.pbase.com.