20 March 2008

Baco, Oriental Mindoro

At the foot of Mt. Halcon, the third-highest peak in the Philippines. I took the agricultural engineering board exam on September 25-26, 1986 but we had to wait for months for the results. (Now, it just takes a few days because the exam is computerized.) 

Because of the no-hiring policy in relation to the plebiscite in April 1987, I could only report for work at Don Severino Agricultural College (DSAC, now Cavite State University) as a substitute instructor in June 1987. So, I was again an intake worker for Plan International, and from January to February 1987, we searched for deserving families in the town of Baco. It was a different team this time but we got to go home every weekend since Baco is just next to Calapan. Wherever we went, there were always parents hoping for a better life for their children. Simple lives yet full of hope. 

Photo from philippines.bayaw.com.